Best Medicare Supplement Plans in California
Medicare Supplement plans can help you cover some of those extra costs that Original Medicare does not include, like Medicare Part A deductible and copayments, Medicare Part B coinsurances, Part B excess charges, and foreign travel emergency care.
Of the ten Medicare Supplement plans offered, we found these three to be the best plans in California:
- Mutual of Omaha offers the best Medicare Supplement Plan G rates for the most comprehensive coverage in California, coming in at $172 per month.
- For a high value plan at a lower cost, Cigna offers the best Medicare Supplement Plan N rates at $127 per month.
- Mutual of Omaha’s version of the High Deductible Plan G is the best low-cost option. It is substantially less expensive with the same coverage as Medicare Plan G, coming in at $63 per month. There is a deductible of $2,700 that needs to be met before this plan will cover costs.
Below is a highlight of the features and benefits of each plan.
Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement Plan G
- For Medicare beneficiaries, Mutual of Omaha Plan G is the most comprehensive option - providing coverage for many of your out-of-pocket costs.
- The only cost not included under this plan is the deductible for Part B.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
- For those looking to save on their monthly premium costs, Cigna Medicare Plan N is an excellent choice. It may require forfeiting some benefits, but the financial savings can be worth it.
If you're considering Plan N, here are just a few of the many features it provides:
- Skilled nursing facilities
- $0 Part A deductible
- Foreign travel emergency healthcare
- Maximum $20 copay for office visits
- Maximum $50 copay for an ER visit (waived if admitted)
Mutual Of Omaha High-Deductible Plan G
- Mutual of Omaha Plan G coverage with a high-deductible requires you to pay an initial deductible of $2,700 before your coverage begins; however, all other benefits are identical to the standard Plan G.
- Unlike traditional Medicare Supplement Plan G, this option is much more budget-friendly.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
What's the Best Medicare Supplement Company in California?
Based on our review of several key factors, Mutual of Omaha is the best Medicare Supplement company in California.
While Mutual of Omaha Medigap plans tend to be more affordable in California, it's not the only factor when selecting the best Medicare Supplement company. For example, depending on your plan letter of choice, one provider might offer Plan N at a lower cost but may be pricier for Plan G; every insurer has its own set of advantages and drawbacks depending on their levels of coverage.
For this reason, Mutual of Omaha remains our top selection during the review process due to its affordability, expansive range of plan choices, household premium discounts, and high customer satisfaction rates.
This chart compares different Medicare Supplement companies to Mutual of Omaha that are also available in California, including sample premiums, ratings, and market share:
Market share: 3.12%
Plan G cost: $175
Plan N cost: $127
Financial strength: A
Mutual of Omaha
Market share: 3.68%
Plan G cost: $172
Plan N cost: $135
Financial strength: A+
Market share: 2.14%
Plan G cost: $215
Plan N cost: $154
Financial strength: A
Market share: 67.22%
Plan G cost: $146
Plan N cost: $123
Financial strength: A
How Much Does a Medigap Plan Cost in California?
The best price for Medicare Supplement Plan G in California is $172 per month with Mutual of Omaha.
Your age and plan choice will have the most significant impact on your premium.
Here you can see how the prices compare for several different plans:
High Deductible G
Plan Popularity in California
Quotes are for sample purposes only. Prices are the average monthly rate in California for a 65-year-old female nonsmoker. Part B start date and or medical underwriting may affect your rate.
When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
When Turning 65:
Your Open Enrollment Period is the best time to enroll in a Medicare Supplement Plan. This period is six months long and starts the first month you have Medicare Part B coverage and are 65 or older.
The 6-month enrollment period cannot be postponed or repeated. Medicare beneficiaries receive the best rates and plans in these six months and have guaranteed issue rights, which means the Medicare insurance company cannot deny coverage or increase prices, even if beneficiaries have pre-existing conditions. Attempting to enroll in a Medigap policy outside of open-enrollment periods result in higher prices, medical underwriting, or coverage denial altogether.
When Younger than 65:
Federal law doesn’t require a Medicare insurance company to sell Medigap to people under age 65. However, in California, if you receive Social Security disability benefits or have end-stage renal disease and Medicare coverage, you can purchase at least one type of Medicare Supplement plan. If you qualify, your OEP begins after you have received Social Security disability benefits for 25 months (non-consecutive).
Sometimes you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period. This period gives beneficiaries guaranteed rights outside of their Open Enrollment Period and happens if you lose group coverage through your new employer. In this case, seniors should wait until their group coverage ends to initiate their enrollment period.
California Birthday Rule: If you are enrolled in a Medigap plan in California, the birthday rule allows you 60 days of open enrollment for Medigap every year after your birthday.
During this time, you can:
- Purchase a new Medigap plan
- Avoid medical screening when you switch plans
- Avoid a new waiting period
To be eligible, enrollees must:
- Live in California
- Be currently enrolled in a Medicare Supplement plan in California
- Switch to plans that have equal or lesser benefits
- Switch before the 60-day period ends
Ready to Learn More?
We help educate Medicare beneficiaries on their Medigap options and help them go through the process of reviewing and comparing plans. We work with some of the nation's top-rated Medigap carriers. So give us a call today, or request a quote online to learn more about Aetna Medicare Supplement plan G and Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement plan G in your state.
Plans can range from $63 to $215 per month for individuals, depending on factors such as the age, gender, location, and tobacco history of the applicants.
Aetna, Mutual of Omaha, UnitedHealthcare, Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California, Cigna, and Health Net - are all leading providers of benefits in the state. Some providers may offer more personalized service or particular coverage options that fit your specific needs.
Medicare Advantage plan premiums are generally cheaper per month than Medicare Supplement plans. However, your out-of-pocket costs can often be higher at the time of service with a Medicare Advantage plan.
If you miss the Medigap Open Enrollment Period and do not qualify for guaranteed issue rights, an insurer may deny coverage under Medigap based on your health conditions. The only exception is when a beneficiary qualifies for guaranteed issue rights during a special enrollment period.
Changing Medigap plans can be done at any point. However, when switching plans outside of the Initial Enrollment Period, you could be denied coverage or have your rates increased due to a health condition or medical issues.
- Cigna Medicare Supplement Plans
- Mutual of Omaha Medicare Supplement Plans
- How Much Does a Medigap Plan Cost?
- When Can I Apply for a Medicare Supplement Plan?
- Guaranteed Issue Rights
- California Medicare Supplement Birthday Rule
- California Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program
- CMS Medicare Services
Can I Qualify for Extra Help if I’m Low Income?
Extra Help is a nationwide program that helps seniors and Medicare-eligible disabled residents cover their Medicare Part D deductibles, co-pays and premiums. If you are struggling to pay those expenses on top of your Medigap premium, you can apply through your local Social Security office or with the online form. The amount of help that you receive will depend on your income.
Please note that the average quotes provided are for demonstration purposes only. Your actual premiums will be determined based on several factors such as your health conditions, age, location, tobacco status, gender, and insurance provider.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online