Medicare Advantage Plans in 2023
Medicare Advantage plans in 2023 combine Original Medicare with additional benefits above basic health insurance coverage.
To choose the best Medicare Advantage plan company, you will need to review how this type of health plan works. With a Medicare Advantage plan, also known as Part C or M.A. plan, you will receive:
Plus a wide range of additional benefits for 2023, such as:
- Prescription drug coverage (Medicare Part D plan)
- Vision and hearing insurance
- Gym and fitness benefits
- Dental coverage
Copays and deductibles are usually higher under Medicare Advantage plans than a Medicare Supplement plan, but your monthly premiums are low or free. In addition, you will need to use network providers under most Medicare Advantage plans.
1. Best for Large Network: Cigna-HealthSpring
- Affordable plans with a vast network of providers in 2023
- Cigna plans received a 4.5 out of 5-star rating, according to Medicare’s CMS rating system
- Nationwide Medicare Part D prescription drug plan with $0 deductible and $0 copay for many medications
- Cigna enrollees receive additional benefits, such as hearing, dental and vision coverage; transportation assistance, and health coaching
- Cigna sells Medicare Advantage plans in 23 states
2. Best for Most Plan Options: Humana
- Wide range of 2023 Medicare Advantage plan options
- Plans available in Puerto Rico and 46 states
- Humana MA plans scored a 4.5-star rating out of 5 in Medicare’s CMS rating system
- In some service areas, beneficiaries can enroll in HMO plans with $0 monthly premiums
- Other benefits include Medicare Part D prescription drug plan, plus hearing, dental and fitness benefits
- Humana PPO plans (preferred provider organization) allow you to receive care from any provider — in or out of your network, but you pay less if you stay in-network
- With Humana private-fee-for-service (PFFS) plans, you do not need referrals from primary care providers for specialist
3. Best for Extra Benefits: Aetna Medicare Advantage
- Aetna Medicare Advantage plans received 4 to 5-star ratings in Medicare’s CMS rating system
- Aetna plans are available as both an HMO (health maintenance organization) and a PPO (preferred provider organization)
- Aetna sells Medicare Advantage plans in 46 states and Washington, D.C. It also sells stand-alone drug policies in all 50 states plus Washington, D.C.
4. Best for 5 Star-Rating: Kaiser Foundation Health Plan
- Rated 5 out of 5 stars by Medicare’s CMS rating system in nearly all states where they are offered
- Coverage is only available in eight states and Washington D.C.
- Advantage Plus option offers additional benefits, such as dental, hearing, and vision coverage.
How Do I Compare Medicare Advantage Plans in 2023
You have two enrollment options:
- Open Enrollment Period – Between October 15 – December 7, 2023, anyone eligible for Medicare can join, switch companies or drop a Medicare Advantage plan. Your coverage will begin on January 1 as long as the plan gets your request by December 7.
- Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period – Between January 1 – March 31 each year, you can switch to another Medicare Advantage company (with or without drug coverage). You can also drop your Medicare Advantage Plan and return it to Original Medicare.
Call to speak with a licensed insurance agent now.(888) 414-4547
Or enter your zip code to shop online